Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement

Report a Violation


The City’s Code Enforcement Division is tasked with protecting the public health, safety, and welfare of residents and property owners by identifying, inspecting, and correcting violations. The Code Enforcement Division is responsible for the enforcement of the City’s Code of Ordinances.

Code Inspectors administer a fair and unbiased enforcement program by routinely checking the City’s main thoroughfares and business areas, as well as responding to complaints from citizens and other city departments.

Code Inspectors try to work with violators by issuing a Violation Notice stating a time to correct the violation. If not corrected, a Notice of Fine will be issued and further action will be turned over to the Municipal Court for a hearing. The Judge can issue a judgement against violator which can result in fines, assessments and additional fees.

Examples of Violations

General NuisanceNoise in Residential Area
Dilapidated StructuresOff Street Parking
Junk VehiclesProhibited Signs
Overgrown LotsSidewalk or Parking Lot Repair
Outdoor StorageTree Protection

Frequently Asked Questions

What height does grass need to be under inside the city limits?

Improved Property. Grass or weeds shall be less than twelve (12) inches in height measured above the surface of the ground.

Unimproved Property. Grass or weeds shall be less than twenty-four (24) inches in height measured above the surface of the ground. Unimproved properties of five (5) acres or more shall be mowed a minimum of four times during the annual growing season, beginning April 1st and ending October 31st.

I received a notice of violation for Waste: Points of Collection, what does it mean?

This type of notice is typically sent when trash, recycling bags, or their respective containers are left at the curb on a day that trash pickup doesn’t run in that area. More information on this ordinance here and the Department of Environmental Services info is located here.

Is this the place to report potholes in parking lots?

Yes, any parking lot or driveway on private property of a commercial use or multi-unit dwelling residential use that provides for access to on-site parking or on-site parking with potholes can be reported via the complaint form. The Code Enforcement Division does NOT process complaints for city maintained roads.