Start the permit process through our online permitting system MyGov. Both residential and commercial applications can be filled out from the comfort of your home or office. Building projects may require approval from multiple city departments depending upon the nature and complexity of the project. Our online project submission process will help move you through each requirement.
Step-by-step permit guides on how to navigate the permitting process.
The City of Starkville’s Building Division is responsible for reviewing building plans, issuing building permits, conducting building inspections, and issuing Certificates of Occupancy for construction and privilege licenses.
Permits shall be obtained before the commencement of all construction activities. Work without a permit is subject to triple the permit cost and other legal action.
Adopted Technical Codes
Technical Codes Adopted. To establish uniform rules and regulations, this body hereby adopts codes for electrical, building, fire prevention, mechanical, plumbing, gas, property maintenance, swimming pool, and spa, all being incorporated herein by reference and referred to as the technical codes in this section. The technical codes are entirely adopted except for any deletions, additions, and modifications listed in this section. The following technical codes are adopted and incorporated into the unified development code:
- 2020 edition of the National Electrical Code, as amended.
- 2021 edition of the International Building Code.
- 2021 edition of the International Residential Code.
- 2021 edition of the International Fire Code.
- 2021 edition of the International Mechanical Code.
- 2021 edition of the International Plumbing Code.
- 2021 edition of the International Fuel Gas Code.
- 2021 edition of the International Property Maintenance Code.
- 2021 edition of the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code.
- 2021 edition of the International Existing Building Code.
- ICC A117.1-2017 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
See Section 17.2.2 of the Unified Development Code for all deletions, additions, and modifications to the adopted Technical Codes.
Building Permits Required
It shall be unlawful to commence the excavation for or the construction of any building or other structure, including accessory structures, or to store building materials or to erect temporary field offices, or to commence the moving, alteration, or repair of any structure, including accessory structures until the Building Codes Official of the City has issued for such work a building permit including a statement that the plans, specifications, and intended use of such structure in all respects conform with the provisions of this Code.
Please contact our Community Development Department to schedule inspections or ask questions regarding permitting.
(662) 323-2525 Option 4